My hard drive is not recognised on my PC, is there anything I can do?
Q. My hard drive is not recognised on my PC, is there anything I can do?
A. If you have purchased a hard drive from us, plugged it in and it's not recognised by your PC, it may well be formatted for a Mac. Please try the following;
- Ensure the USB cable is connected correctly.
- If the hard drive came with a power supply, ensure this is connected and switched on. (Powered hard drives will usually not power on until the USB cable has also been connected to your PC)
- If the hard drive is not showing up as a removable drive, you will need to navigate to 'Disk Management'. To do this 'right click' on the 'Computer icon' and select 'Manage'.
- On the left under 'Storage' click 'Disk Management'.
- In the top middle window, under 'Volume' you should see one or two hard drive icons without a name next to them.
- Click one of the blank volumes until you see 'Healthy (Primary Partition)' highlighted. Right click the Primary Partition and select 'Delete Volume'. If you get a notification message, click 'Yes'
- The partition will now show as 'Unallocated'
- Right click it and select 'New Simple Volume'
- Your hard drive should now work with your PC.